“New images prove that the Yellowstone hotspot is powered by superheated magma rising up from Earth’s core. The last Yellowstone supereruption occurred roughly 640,000 years ago, creating the massive, 40-mile wide Yellowstone caldera and producing an umbrella-shaped ash cloud that blanketed areas as far away as modern-day New York with several millimeters of ash. The prospect of another cataclysmic supereruption has sent scientists on a decades-long search for the source of Yellowstone’s devastating power.” (more)
We have some scary geophysical news this week. This sums it up –
LINK – https://youtu.be/2l-pVYnBR5g
From the Flying Cuttlefish blog –
- Northern Climes Nuke Jitters
- Mid-Atlantic Ridge Shakes
- Ring of Fire Very Active After the 7.2 Mexico City Earthquake
- Arctic Sea Ice Death Rattle
LINK – https://youtu.be/t9BjNuKZMX0
Additional items in COMMENTS
Mary Greeley has more updates on her channel.
The last massive earthquake in Yellowstone National Park claimed the lives of 28 people and created a whole new lake. An eruption of a supervolcano like the one at Yellowstone could render significant part of the US uninhabitable for years and threaten life on the whole planet.
Over 200 tremors have struck the Yellowstone supervolcano
. . .
The Daily Mail [UK] – Yellowstone supervolcano is showing signs of STRAIN: Experts measure subtle changes caused by magma deep beneath the surface
- Scientists based in Colorado can measure the strain put on volcanoes in the US
- They detected molten rock beneath the surface of Yellowstone National Park
- Their discovery is not dangerous, and technologies allow them to track it closely
- The researchers analyze the effects of slight environmental shifts on volcanoes
LINK – https://youtu.be/PhUNB-tvUrw
. . . after 29:30 min. mark –
This was sent in – it is of interest to Yellowstone quake watchers ….
I’m watching the Rattlesnake Ridge near Yakima, Washington right now. Estimated 4-10 million cubic yards of hillside slipping at 1.6 feet/week. There is highway below and the Yakima River. A lady is giving daily updates with pictures.
What the heck is going on??
SEE ALSO – Watching Mount St Helens
Mary Greeley reports –
LINK – https://youtu.be/F-uXbt330Bs